Choose life. Life is wonderful.

Saturday 7 January 2017

2017 WEEK ONE






This quote links up with the current popular idea in psychology about 'being in the present' or 'mindfulness'. Often we are distracted and not enjoying the present moment, but I thought it was a bit much when I did a course recently about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and the homework given was to be mindful when you are doing the dishes and concentrate on every aspect of the process so you can really appreciate it - the shapes of the dishes; the feel of the water etc. 

I couldn't really see the point of this. Isn't it better to escape with your thoughts somewhere else when doing something so tedious and mundane as washing dishes? I do not enjoy doing dishes so why not make plans for the next craft project, or picnic or whatever, so that that experience becomes richer from the planning. At the same time I can 'escape' from the tedium of dish washing.

I think it is really important to appreciate the small moments in life because this is what life is made of, but there are just some moments I really can't enjoy. In fact there are times when I look forward, such as when my car has broken down, and I just think, "In a couple of hours this will all be over and everything will be back to normal and what seems like a big problem now will be solved." I must admit that while I wait for the NRMA I am in the moment playing 'Words With Friends.'

So on with 2017!


The first day of 2017 was spent at the Wollongong Botanic Gardens with some of Peter's family. (Please note that I have not shown people's faces so as to maintain their privacy.)






The duck pond was a highlight.










Going through the rain forest section was fun.







The oriental bridge was unusual but not ideal for a stroller.







Two cousins found a 'tent'.





Orchids in the greenhouse.





Grandson number 1 in the cacti house




Number 1 grandson outside with giant Cacti.




On 3rd January Peter's elder daughter came down with her two beautiful daughters and we went for a bike ride at Stuart Park.

We had lunch at Diggies and I had the most delicious mussels in wine sauce with sourdough bread.



I must cook some mussels again. Peter doesn't like them but they are high in iron and low in calories.

This was the view from our table, out onto North Wollongong Beach






My Vietnamese mint grows at a great rate and threatens to take over my garden so I picked a lush bunch and placed it in the kitchen window where I can pick the leaves at whim.






These sprayed candlesticks turned out well. I bought them at Vinnies for $5.

This is before:





This is after:


I have plans for them


Happy Birthday

Today is my wonderful daughter's 37th birthday. Life has been a bit of a struggle for her but she had always acted with a lot of integrity and never tried to take the easy path. Much of this is due to the support of her partner who is also her carer. I am not allowed to talk about her on this blog (which she prefers not to read) so if nobody tells her she won't know that I have told you that if you would like to see some of her artwork Google Jade Pegler. She is in the stable of artists at http://www.gallery9.com.au/ You can see some of her last exhibition at Gallery 9 here.

Here is just one example of her work from her last exhibition.





Rhiannon's garden

My daughter Rhiannon and her husband are gradually establishing a garden. They are up to their second raised veggie bed.


I love watching the progress they make. You can follow their progress here on You Tube.

And in deference to many of my family members I will leave you with this.







Interesting sites

1.

Solo Mountain Climber has no fear
Photo source
It is all to do with the amygdala. Click here to read more.






2.
 Automated car park
Photo source
Click here to view the video of this automated car park.




3.
 Vavasseur's cats
Photo source
Raphael Vavasseur does beautiful but unusual paintings of cats. Click here to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please feel free to comment.